· Never leave keys in hiding places outside the house.
· Always keep your garage door closed and locked.
· Trim back all bushes under windows.
· Plant prickly, thorny shrubs or bushes under windows to discourage prowlers.
· Bright lights outside around all doors and window discourage break ins. Install motion triggered lights around corners of the home.
· Install a solid core or metal-clad door fitted with both inside hinge pins and a minimum one-inch throw deadbolt lock.
· Doors with windows require a double key deadbolt.
· Secure garage doors with cane bolts and hasps.
· Install a peep hole in the front door.
· Secure crank Windows by drilling a hole through the latch frame and handle, then insert a metal pin or nail through the hole to lock the window in place.
· Place Operation Identification stickers on doors and windows.
· If you have a keypad garage door, reprogram the code.
· Never leave your garage door opener visible in your car.
· Never let strangers into your home. Never give out your address or phone number to strangers.